Tuesday, May 8, 2007

A Long Journey !

SINGAPORE - May 8

My rear is still feeling the effects of sitting for a long time on a series of uncomfortable seats!


The flying times were: five hours from Detroit to Los Angeles (LAX), 13 hours from LAX to Taipei, and five hours from Taipei to Kuala Lumpur. The Traverse City - Detroit trip and the Kuala Lumpur - Singapore trips took about an hour each.

It started out nicely enough at
Traverse City airport, but by the time we got to Los Angeles, stood in line for an hour with a gazillion other people to check in at the Malaysian Airlines counter, and staggered into the waiting area at 12:30 a.m., it wasn't so nice any more.

The 1:30 a.m. flight was packed with folks from India, Malaysia, the US, and a handful of Europeans. The Malaysian Airlines flight is also a code-shared Air India flight, and the flight was full of Indian expatriate professionals (lots of computer and IT types) going back to India after assignments in the US. I sat next to an American couple from S. Dakota. The husband was working for a US company owned by a Malaysian conglomerate, and was en route to a business meeting-cum-vacation in Kuala Lumpur. The missus was along for the vacation part.

The flight from LA to Taipei, Taiwan, was 13 hours long. The seats had individual movie screens to keep us entertained while we were awake, with food being served several times. Most everybody managed to get some sleep.

When we arrived in Taipei, we all disembarked, lined up for a security check, then poked around the airport mall for a few minutes, then trooped back to the waiting room again to board the flight to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. All in all, not a particularly exciting transit through Taiwan!

Five hours (and one movie and several shorts) later, we arrived at our flight's destination, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Here my seat neighbors disembarked, and most of the Indian passengers went on to India. I sat around at the beautiful airport waiting for my flight to Singapore. I whiled away my time by sipping iced coffee at the airport's Starbucks, and calling our good friends Patrick and Philomena Augustin, a Kuala Lumpur couple Patricia and I know from our Peace Corps days more than 30 years ago.

Finally, I boarded a Malaysian Airlines shuttle flight to Singapore after 3 p.m. local time. The last leg was a tolerable one-hour flight after a nice rest in Kuala Lumpur.

As we approached Singapore, I could see from the airplane window the outline of an artificial island planned, designed, and constructed by the engineering firm where I once worked. The island is being filled with incinerator ash and other relatively clean solid wastes from Singapore. When filled sometime in the middle of the century, the island will be capped and used as an open-air recreation area --- parks, golf courses, etc. I worked on the planning phase in the early 1990's in Singapore with the environmental engineering firm of Camp Dresser & McKee, Inc.

To-my great surprise, this island, Pulau Semakau, has a Wikipedia entry! Click on this link and learn about the island in whose creation I had the honor to participate way back then.

Thanks for letting me toot my horn... :-)

NEXT: A couple of days in Singapore...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the region you loved most...I guess, otherwise why bother come all the way from cold Michigan. Perhaps you should ask Justin to come along this summer -- a good excuse for all of us to be in Banda Aceh. Please don't take too long to come to KL for the good food...create any excuses if you may, the Anis's tribe will do the rest.

Bob said...

Hi Howard, Good to see you made it safely to the region you love most....and all this time I thought it was Elk Rapids. I have been reading up on the area where you are working and it appears you have your work cut out. My prayers go with you and the people of Banda Aech.

Rich W said...

Hey Howard,

Ahh, the numbutt (not a word likely to show up in "Word of the Day") factor. Glad you arrived more or less intact.

Howard said...

Hey, Anis! Yes, we get weekend leave every few weeks. I heard Air Asia or somebody is starting a direct Banda Aceh-KL flight soon. This creates many possibilities, doesn't it? You might want to check into it.

Rich! Thanks for expanding my vocabulary with a useful and descriptive term. I will look for an occasion to use it soon --- maybe in the blog (with proper attribution, of course!) ;-)

Justin said...

huh... I wonder if the old Coachmen Inn is still open..

Howard said...

Coachman Inn... I completely forgot about that wonderful steak house. Must check it out next trip...